Calling all GMs'

Questions relating to learning how to GM.

Moderators: Matt, Andrew

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Calling all GMs'

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 am

Okay, one reason I'm posting here is because I got tired of seeing no posts in the section. :)

But main reason is ask a question:

How do we as GMs' push a mission more to a climax?

When I try a more story driven mission I restrict the players too much. When run an action mission things just happen then end.

So what's the fix?

More complications? (But not just more troopers or thugs?)

Hmmmm... any thoughts?
"I find your lack of pants disturbing."

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Re: Calling all GMs'

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 am

One thing I've been playing with is giving clear and concise objectives, but leaving the means pretty open. Like the "Forest Burning" mission, or the restaurant thing. Yes, sometimes we can get bogged down in the planning section, but I don't think that means the approach is wrong. We as players just need to get better at determining who will lead the group and then allowing that person to choose the final plan. What I like about this is that we know what we're out to do, but there are hundreds of ways we can do it.

Also, as GM's, we can have one or two plot twists at the ready that can be thrown in when there's an opportunity. An enemy NPC who is actually known by one of the characters (or is related!) would be one cool complication. I'd say we need a list of these, but to some degree that would spoil it for everyone who's playing and GM's. I say we just each come up with a list that we will use in our missions.
“Do not be wary of men who take risks with titles and land; be wary of men with nothing to lose.” Shinsei, the Little Teacher

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:16 am

Okay, let's try to throw in twist here or there.

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:28 pm

Holly and I actually came up with a really good one that she'll GM (obviously it's ruined for me, but I can still act in character). I really really want her to do that soon. Matt... I think she could roll it in with the "free Gorlo" mission. Would you mind letting her GM that one and you can just play normal? We've thought of a connect that would make the mission more than just about Gorlo.
“Do not be wary of men who take risks with titles and land; be wary of men with nothing to lose.” Shinsei, the Little Teacher

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:02 pm

I'll roll with it. :mrgreen:

Clint
Dice Roller

Post by Clint » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Isn't that just the problem, as GM you try to lead people where you want but human nature gets into the mix and the players do what ever they want. Then, when you do freeform it is hard to make the mission interesting quicly without spending to much time creating every thing to go along with the mission. I have had fun with both and not so much fun with both.
I tried to bring the action to the group I GM'ed last time, but I don't know if you can do that every time. I suppose it would be better if you know the players are going to play so you can develope the story around those skills ( and weaknesses ).

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:42 am

Well, like I've stated earlier, I think the best way to do it is to have a clear objective. As GM, your goal is to create an environment and an end goal, then let the players decide how best to use that environment to achieve their goal. If you have a list of possible plot twists at the ready, then you can throw one in if it looks like it could fit. This missions I've GM'd this way (and the missions I've played this way) were the most fun for me.