New Template: Ninja

Submit new characters, items, or anything else for GM approval.

Moderators: Matt, Andrew

Seth
Dice Roller

New Template: Ninja

Post by Seth » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Working on trying to bang out a Ninja template. Here's what I have so far:

Dex: 4D
Per: 3D
Kno: 3D
Str: 4D
Mech: 2D
Tech: 2D

Equip: Ninja suit of your color choice, some Knives (throwing, if we make it), and 500c

Before I make a character like this, we need to work out thrown weapons.
Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the pants.

gely
Dice Roller

Re: New Template: Ninja

Post by gely » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 pm

i would make perception a 4d and strength a 3d

because they do a lot of sneakin and a smart ninja is always aware of his surrondings

and a 4d strength is a little redicouls for a small agile kinda thing
Noted and promptly ignored.
- Matt

Clint
Dice Roller

Post by Clint » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Unless there is a rule of having a 5d I think raise the dex to a 5d and lower the knowlege to 2d that would make him/her a fighting monk master that only trained for combat and not much else. Also I would think that you'd need a good excuse for him/her not to be training any longer. Although that would make that class pretty strong right out of the box.

gely
Dice Roller

Post by gely » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:23 pm

just like gorlo lol
- Matt

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:12 am

Hmmmm... I need a bit more info before I offer an opinion.

What's the character concept? Is it a human? (If so no 5D atts, Clint.) Is he from a primative world? Or an advanced one? Are you wanting an "ancient" ninja or a "space" ninja? Combat expert? Stealth expert? Well-rounded?
"I find your lack of pants disturbing."

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:34 am

So just to clarify on custom templates and the 4d/5d dealio. Basically, 4D stats are pretty rare. If you look at the pre-made templates, there are only a few with 4D attributes. And most of the templates have at least 2D+1 tech/mech, many are 3D. I would think this is because in a universe like Star Wars with all of the vast amounts of technology around, just about everybody has at least some basic familiarity with this stuff. The exceptions are for alien races, or extremely specialized characters.

Aliens are allowed a 5D stat, but it has to be due to a physiological reason. E.g. Wookies (and Gorlo) have 5D strength because they're freakin huge. Similarly, you could create a Sullustan and give him 5D perception because he's got huge ears and they're known for being very aware.

So going forward with creating custom templates, I think the creator has to answer a couple questions first. Number one, was the character brought up in a closed environment where they would have had very little access or exposure to technology. If not, then they should have at least a 2D+1 tech/mech/knowledge (IMO).

I realize everyone wants the uber combat types, but it seems to me that we have lots of those. What is cool is the type that doesn't start off awesome, but gets there through playing. That's one of the most fun parts of role playing: seeing your character develop. You don't need to start off ridiculously amazing because all player characters are by default much better than normal NPC's.

Here's what I'd suggest (if it's a typical ninja but who had a normal Star Wars universe exposure):

Dexterity: 3D+2
Knowledge: 3D
Mechanical: 2D+1
Perception: 3D+1
Strength: 3D
Technical: 2D+2

If it's a ninja from an ancient-type world, then you could lower mech and tech by one pip and throw them on perception and strength. That's just my opinion, however.

And all this was just my opinion, so take with a grain of salt. :)
“Do not be wary of men who take risks with titles and land; be wary of men with nothing to lose.” Shinsei, the Little Teacher

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:36 am

I'm double posting on purpose here. Clint and Greg, would you guys mind uploading profile images so that I can more easily tell you apart on posts? Taking the 1/5th of a second to look over at your names is such a bother! :P
“Do not be wary of men who take risks with titles and land; be wary of men with nothing to lose.” Shinsei, the Little Teacher

Seth
Dice Roller

Post by Seth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:38 am

Matt wrote:Hmmmm... I need a bit more info before I offer an opinion.

What's the character concept? Is it a human? (If so no 5D atts, Clint.) Is he from a primative world? Or an advanced one? Are you wanting an "ancient" ninja or a "space" ninja? Combat expert? Stealth expert? Well-rounded?
I was going for well rounded ancient type that specializes in thrown/melee weapons and has very high dodge. Base race would be human. Ninjas typically have had extensive training in strenght and flexibility, thus why I suggested the 4D for each. for tech and mech, 2D since ancient ninjas wouldn't have any real background in those. This is justified because they come from an obscure and secluded clan that shuns technology thus preserving their heritage. They would still have moderate knowledge, so 3D there.

If you wanted a compromise, perhaps putting Dex at 3D+2, Str 3D+2, and moving the extra pips into Per and Kno.

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 am

Since the race is human I say just use the Tough Native stats (they are awesome by the way) and customize the equipment. (Like we should have done with the Sniper template. Just take the Merc and customize the equipment. The book makes it clear on page 10 that you shouldn't change the atts for simple or human chacracters.) If a space ninja is wanted just take the Bounty hunter stats and customize the equipment.

We have a ton of combat chacters and most of those are melee only. So it wise to make another? I think it's clear we need a KNO or PER based character (with moderate blaster skills) to round out the group. Like an Armchair Historian or a Retired Imperial Captain or an Old Senatorial (the only template to have two 4D atts!).

Don't get me wrong I always want a player to play whatever knid of character he wants. If you want a ninja make one. But think if a character is a human we keep the stats of an exsisting character type and rethink the equipment. Cool?

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:34 am

I agree with taking the Tough Native stats (they have a 4D strength) and adapting them for the ancient ninja.

Matt, I agree that we have a lot of combat characters, but it's really fun that way. The problem with the knowledge characters is that we as GM's haven't made a whole lot of missions where it's fun to play those.

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 am

Andrew wrote:Matt, I agree that we have a lot of combat characters, but it's really fun that way. The problem with the knowledge characters is that we as GM's haven't made a whole lot of missions where it's fun to play those.
Very true.

Seth
Dice Roller

Post by Seth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:24 pm

the problem with doing that kind of mission now is everyone will grab their uber combat character, and then hate the mission when their character can't do anything. and we've all got so many characters now that making a new one will end up spreading the missions really thin between them unless you retire some.

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Seth wrote:...unless you retire some.
Translation: Kill some. Haha! None of you know who it will be... but one (or more... or all) of you will die!

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:29 pm

So are you cool with the Tough Native stats?

wollywoo
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by wollywoo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:46 pm

well let's look at what ninja are known for. i think 2 things: accuracy and sneakiness. that's what makes them so deadly. 2 main stats would be dex and per, which i think would be much higher than the other stats. strength would be next in line, but still not as high as the other 2 since it's not a brute character but a stealthy one. i dunno though...i think ninja are more suited to another universe, although i suppose there could be some version of them in space. sorry, i don't remember what the tough native stats are off hand.
My pants are dirty too, what are you afraid of?

Holly

gely
Dice Roller

Post by gely » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:23 pm

i like hollys idea dex and perc would be highest in my opinion, but as for the perception and knowledge character i was planning on creating one for my third character. i know i was thinkin about the bug dude but he is just another combat toon and i want a more story thoughtful guy so that is why that switched,
- Matt

Andrew
Supreme Dork

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm

You know, Lenny never did a whole lot of combat, but he was definitely able to hold his own with a 4D blaster. And having him for breaking into places, fixing stuff, hacking stuff, etc. was pretty valuable a few different times. I think we (as GM's) have just gravitated lately toward more combat stuff because it's easier. My next mission I'll try to throw in some knowledge stuff, whether anyone there has it or not. The net result will likely be that if you don't know something the mission will be much more difficult.

Seth
Dice Roller

Post by Seth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:53 pm

I will be starting to play DT and Keema more in the future. Rax is fun, but limiting since he's pretty much combat and stealth only.

Matt
Level 3 Nerdery

Post by Matt » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:20 am

Andrew wrote:You know, Lenny never did a whole lot of combat, but he was definitely able to hold his own with a 4D blaster. And having him for breaking into places, fixing stuff, hacking stuff, etc. was pretty valuable a few different times.
As I was saying... or at least trying to say. A 4D blaster is good. A 2D STR is fine as long as other players help you out from time to time.

The only reason I made Gorlo is because I've never had a character like that before. I 've played Jedis, bounty hunters and characters that are handsome and smart. I was reacting against all that. So I made a character that can't use a blaster and whose plans consist of frontal assault everytime. But for newer players I think you should be very careful about such a limited character. Really we could use an engineer or an Anarion-like character on every mission (we could have really used 6D language last time).

Though, more importantly characters should GROW. Any character type could increase their language skill or pilot or streetwise or starship repair or whatever. A bounty hunter with an 8D blaster is cool. But one with a 6D+2 blaster and a 4D language is better. A brash pilot might grow into more of an engineer. An engineer may grow into a merc. A gambler may grow into a smooth bounty hunter. And on and on and on.

Seth
Dice Roller

Post by Seth » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Okay, so Tough Native stats for Ninja, and adjust starting equipment. Maybe clothing, some knives, and a katana. No money. Perhaps a poison pouch for poisoning his weapons.